Saturday 3 March 2012

When is a DNF a good day?

Today I decided to try and go out on my own. 'On my own' is a bit of a stretch. I found a race I could go to, that was organised by someone I trusted. I checked the entry list to make sure none of the people that threatened me would be there. I went down as late as I felt I could get away with still making the entry deadline. And half a dozen other precautions as well.

So I managed an 800m swim in 14:47. Same race last year I did 15:10 and previous 750m PB is 14:45. Considering the amount I missed it is good to be coming out with PB's in the very first event of a season.

Transition was similarly great, was out and running in under 27 seconds, and three places up on where I came out of the swim.

First lap on the run wasn't terrible, was losing time and places to the three that I passed in transition but I didn't expect anything else having only jogged 3 miles outdoors this year and 9 since the start of September.  Lap 2 was a big downhill though. The cheering from Pittodrie had me working out what time the game would finish and what time I would finish. Realising that the game was over before I would be off the roads and that I would have to deal with the crowds was too stressful. Within about 400 yards I went from a slow but comfortable jog to walking and barely being able to breathe. From there it was all I could manage to tell one of the officials I was quitting and get back to hide in the changing rooms.

So a DNF, theoretically I should be upset. I can't even remember my last DNF (My training diary says it was a track 10k in 2010). And I am sure I have never considered a DNF to be a successful step forward before. I managed to go outside without a babysitter. I did have a panic attack, but only after I had survived over half an hour with a group of strangers in a room and had survived a decent swim. So overall, a good day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment