Wednesday 15 August 2012

Olympics withdrawal

Olympic withdrawal is really kicking in now. Tuesday was a rest from training today. After racing Sunday and then going to TPT run and swim sessions on Monday it wasn't worth skipping the rest even though I was ridiculously bored. 

Today, I went out to Knockburn for a jog and a swim. On one hand it was good that I managed to 'run' properly on my own, on the other hand it was slightly frustrating in that I managed to comfortably jog round a slightly longer and much hillier course than Saturday in exactly the same time for much less effort.

Then I did a 3 lap swim. I think it is the first time I have done 3 laps, certainly the first time this year. Again frustrating to go faster pace than Sunday's race, but at least there are a bunch of sensible reasons to explain swimming slightly faster. Despite being over twice the distance there is no stopping for turns but no benefit of kicking off turns. The much bigger factor though is that the wetsuit makes a huge difference that more than cancels out being in a race, and the additional distance doesn't really matter, for some reason cranking up swimming distance doesn't seem to have any major effect on my pace. My swim speed is still more limited by technique than by strength or fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment